|Givat Shaul is a western neighborhood at the very entrance to Jerusalem, with over 14,000 residents. Named after one of Israel's first chief rabbis, Rabbi Yaakov Shaul Eliashar, Givat Shaul was first established in 1908 as an agricultural community. Destroyed over the course of several wars including the First World War, the neighborhood was rebuilt in 1919. After the 1948 War of Liberation, an industrial area was developed in the southwestern part of the neighborhood. From the late 1980s until today, the industrial areas are being replaced by new housing projects.
The Har HaMenuchot Cemetery borders Givat Shaul on its northwestern perimeter, reaching all the way to the newer neighborhood of Har Nof. The southern adjacent neighborhood is Kiryat Moshe.
The population is mainly ultra-Orthodox.